ACQuFRR's mission is to advance the theory and application of modern quantitative, statistical and mathematical techniques to the modelling and risk management of financial products and markets. It is primarily interested in the application of these techniques to African and South African contexts. Whilst doing this, ACQuFRR undertakes to engender a culture of research excellence, provide research mentorship to staff and students, encourage entrepreneurial activity, develop research capacity and promote the diversity of its staff and students.
ACQuFRR's aims and objectives
ACQuFRR aims to:
- Initiate a programme of collaborative, applied and comparative research in quantitative finance and risk management in Africa.
- Develop international postgraduate links, the international exchange of teaching and research faculty and the development of international collaborative research projects.
- Facilitate a community of quantitative finance and risk management professionals across Africa that shares ideas, collaborates on research projects, and enables each other’s activities.
- Create a forum that will advance awareness of, and skills development in, quantitative finance and risk management in Africa, South Africa and at UCT.
- Develop the capacity to produce solutions to commercially-proposed projects with the intent to generate income.
ACQuFRR's purpose is expressed through the following objectives:
- ACQuFRR is industry and internationally orientated, with a focus on emerging issues and current developments in the field of quantitative finance.
- ACQuFRR is locally supportive, with a view to developing expertise in Africa amongst Africans for African economies.
- ACQuFRR has adopted a long-term and collaborative approach to its activities that fosters relationships with other academic institutions, particularly in Africa, and with government and any member of the financial services industry interested and concerned with issues relating to quantitative finance or risk management.
- ACQuFRR’s activities cover a range of issues incorporating asset price modelling, hedging, trading, financial risk management, insurance mathematics, reserving, behavioural finance and economic capital.
- ACQuFRR encourages multiple perspectives, and insights are sought from different disciplines.
- ACQuFRR’s research addresses both theory and practice in an African context.